Falchion

I understand that Fire Emblem doesn't care and some guy who didn't know shit about actual medieval weapons just grabbed a sword name that looked cool and used that for the holy dragon-slaying sword. Like I get it. I really do get it, but I still don't like it.

Even if you want to argue that my falchions aren't historically accurate (I know they're not perfect, but they at least fall within the loose parameters of a falchion), but at least they're not broadswords with overly long grips.



So, in awakening one of the characters explains to Lucina that the reason the sword looks so different is because the hilts have broken multiple times and the blade needed to be refitted over the last 2,000 years since it was first gifted to her ancestor Marth. I'd accept that and be cool with it if the two that were supposed to be the same weapon were the middle two. But no, the top and bottom two are the same falchion, and the second one down is a copy created by the dragon goddess to give to a different hero. The only two blades with teh same geometry and demifuller are not the same sword. But the one with the teardrop and weird pointy bits are the same as one of the ones with a demifuller.

Also, since I looked it up to see what it's powers were on the fandom wiki and holy shit the falchion was first translated into English as Kingsfang. God that is such a better name for what equates to being just a sword +2, +3 vs. dragons...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Session