My first four D&D characters

Let me tell you of my first four D&D characters.

The first was Bob, the Fighter. Bob was the character created in the choose your own adventure intro portion of the BECMI basic book. The one that let Alena die and maybe got charmed by Bargle. The friend who gave me the basic book let me bring him into his game, and Bob was level 2 when he died trying to be the big damn hero and swing over a pit. He fell to his death.

Bob was replaced by his eldest son Bob II, the Fighter. Bob II came to find what happened to his father after money stopped being sent back home. He died at level 3 in the Caves of Chaos, to the goring horns of the Minotaur.

Third was the cousin of Bob II, Bobbert. Bobbert was a hireling that Bob II brought along to be a man-at-arms/camp guard but replaced Bob II when he died. Bobbert was my first attempt at being "creative" with my characterization so he insisted on eating what he killed. Over a decade later when recounting this to a friend of mine in the Navy, he gave Bobbert the title "Bob, who ate whot he kills". Bobbert did not die of food poisoning. He was instead thrown from a horse spooked by a wand of fear, and then his head was stepped on by an enemy knight's horse. He was level 5.

Finally, of my first four, was Unberto. Unberto who clearly was not the first Bob who miraculously survived falling into the pit and is now not disguising himself as a latino man with a horrible stereotypical mustache, sombrero, and poncho worn over his platemail. I continued to play Unberto until the campaign ended and the DM's older brother started a new game for us to play in. The campaign ended with Umberto establishing a stronghold at level 9.

Mechanically they were all identical. In fact, after one died, I simply erased the name and replaced it with a new one and swapped out his weapon of choice. Bob used a sword, Bob II used a spear, Bobbert used a butcher's cleaver (hand axe), and Unberto used a sword again.

For those familiar, the next campaign was the one where I created Dendalli.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Session